About Me

My photo
We were married on June 18th surrounded by all our friends and family. We live in Oklahoma and love it. It is beginning to feel more and more like home. I love the trees, our church and the people! Everyone has made us feel so welcome and a part of this community. We both have great jobs, that we love going to every day! Life is good, God is good!!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Camp Cousin Heather: Saturday and Sunday

This is a special week! This week Andrew and I get to hang out with 2 of my little cousins. I was 18 when Emma was born and 20 when the Ben came around. Because of the age difference, I have always been more like an aunt to them than a cousin. Luckily we only lived a few hours away and it was fairly convenient for us to make many trips back and forth to visit. 
Around 5 or 6 years ago the kids started going to Midland to spend about a week with my parents every summer. This special week is called "Camp Auntie Jean" and is highly anticipated by everyone, Auntie Jean, the kids, me, their mom! 
Well when Andrew and I got married I joked with my aunt, Ettie, that the kids needed to come stay with us some. The first summer was out of the question. We were newlyweds and well... yeah... even though I dearly LOVE these pumpkins I didn't want to be in the same room with children! The next summer (last summer) we bought a house and it was such a crazy summer that there was no way we could make it work. Besides that I had a full year job and had to work through the sumer for the first summer of my adult life. This summer, due to my open schedule and their summer plans we were able to make a week work. 
This week is "Camp Cousin Heather"!! 

Ettie and my uncle came up here on Friday July 19 and stayed the night. (I STILL get so nervous to have other adults stay at my house!! Will this ever go away??) They left around noon on Saturday and our fun began! 



Right after we were freed from their parents watchful eyes!!
Let the fun begin. Nothing but junk food, late nights and ...
ice cream for breakfast... right Andrew?? 


Lets go see a movie!! 
Our original plan for Saturday was to take the kids to the Caney Zoo and Safari Park, however it was H-O-T outside. We broke a sweat just walking to the car. Andrew came up with the next best idea: MOVIES! I was thrilled... it meant pop-corn and AC! We all quickly agreed upon watching Ice Age 3: Continental Drift!! It was a blast and between Ben and I we ate at least 3/4 of the pop-corn before the movie had even started. This was NOT a proud moment for the Husband. 

Emma all dressed up for church! 
 Sunday morning we woke up and got ready for church. Most of you know that my sweet husband and I struggle with timeliness! 3 of us were up by 7. When I went to take a shower at 8 I woke the last one up. I figured ... NO problem!! We got this!! Church starts at 9:15 we will leave by 9:10 and be early!!! Well... one thing lead to another and we didn't leave the house till 9:17. Luckily we live 2 minutes at most away from our church ... so we made it by the time they were done shaking hands. 

Many people stopped us and make jokes about "wow!! We didn't know yall had been hiding kids all these years!!" "Ummmm do yall have something to tell us??" and at least 4 people told us today that "They could pass for our kids!" What a complement kinda... Great because these kids are stunningly gorgeous and so well mannered, frustrating because I do NOT want to look like I could have a 10 year old!! SERIOUSLY!!?? Oh well... 
Sunday lunch: Foil Dinners!! They were a HIT! 
 Sunday for lunch we made Foil Dinners! I made these often when I was in Girl Scouts and I LOVED them. The kids saw them on Pinterest and said they looked/sounded fun! I mixed hamburger and turkey meat then made small patties. I sliced potatoes, onions and carrots. Then we layered all of these with goodies along with cheese on top of a couple leaves of cabbage. We wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for a while. I was sceptical. Worried the kids wouldn't like the flavor of the meat, or it would be too "weird" for them to like it. However, they LOVED it! It got amazing reviews!! I was shocked! Even Andrew was pleased! Emma only had meat and cheese on hers; Ben had meat, cheese and a few carrots; Andrew and I had the works : Meat, cheese, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes! YUMMMM-O!! I do believe this is one recipe I will want to remember! 

Andrew showing the kids the composting bin. 
A few months ago we (Andrew) started becoming interested in the idea of composting and doing our share in protecting the planet. We will never be totally "green" but we can do a few things here and there to help out. We have been trying out this composting bin for a few months now. Andrew really enjoys working with it. He is always having to remind me that we DON'T throw away anything 'natural'! When we were eating fruit for a snack and we talked to them about throwing their stems away in the composting bucket, they got really curious about the in's and out's of composting. So Andrew gave them a mini science lesson and they both said they want to help with it this week! As soon as the bucket was full after lunch the kids ran to put their play clothes on so they could help Andrew "compost"! It was so cute watching them all interact together. The kids were so curious. When I'm outside of a classroom I forget how their little minds work... they are ALWAYS learning. Always asking questions!! I LOVE it! 

Tonight we also took the kids to a meeting for our church Prayer Team. They did great. We had burgers again... but they were good. I was so impressed with how well behaved they were and how helpful they were with a little 2 year old that was there. 

I guess I better go so I can get some rest before tomorrow. Tomorrow is our Craft Day Extravaganza!! Woop Woop!! (Yes I might have just done a fist pump in the air!!) 


Heather-Signature

1 comment:

  1. I'd be disappointed if you hadn't done a fist pump in the air!!

    ReplyDelete